Thursday, November 22, 2007

Health background of my personal running journey

My aim for running or jogging is for fitness. Not for PBs or achieving the Marathon or Tri.

I must always remind myself that I can never run a sub-4 marathon.

Am on medication for chronic elevated cholesterol and high blood pressure. Diagnosed with mild LVH after 2D echo in November 2006. There is no way I should ever push myself. If the LVH is elevated (possibly through stress and/ or exercise), one result would be sudden heart failure and might just collapse and leave this world for heaven.

In the last few weeks, in the sgRunners.com forums, talking to people who run long distance, I realise that low-mileage runners like me who jog for fitness or are pure recreational runners are a minority. It is hard for those like me to relate to serious runners who talk about their running clubs, overseas events, ultramarathons, LSDs, fartleks, etc.

So, the 5km to 10km recreational runner will find difficulty joining sgRunners for area runs which is from 12km upwards, minimum pace of 6min ~ 7min per km. I have learnt that serious runners are passionate (or obsessed) with running and training, even running on National Day, Christmas Day mornings, New Year Day, Chinese New Year 3rd Day, etc.

But I'll see how my running journey (adventure?) goes. There's this sgRunners Banana Relay in January 2008. Walk/run/crawl 3km x 2 laps. See how goes. Might be too busy as it is weekend just before I leave my job and join a new company. Closer the date then see how. Sounds fun since no time limit.

No comments: