Thursday, December 31, 2009

52nd training (58th) run of 2009

My 58th and last run of 2009 on New Year Eve morning. It was just 5km and completed in 36:20 with great exertion and exhaustion becos I started too fast early on.


What a year 2009 has been. I had only one wish, prayer and running goal since 2008 began - to be able to complete/ finish the 21km Half Marathon distance.

2008 was washed out through over running. Although I ran 2-3 times weekly including long distances, I overdid it. Suffering hamstring cramps within 3km of jogging and knee pains.

I am thankful for the support and help of God Almighty, family and friends. In 2009, I managed
1) Complete my 21km AHM 2009 in 3 hour 10mins
2) Got my 10km PB of 1hr 9min during the New Balance Real Run 2009
3) Broke my 10km PB completing the Fubon Taipei Marathon 10km run in 1hr 8 mins.

In addition of my 21km wish and prayer, I broke my 10km PB twice in 2009.

What of 2010 and beyond?

I have no wish or goals. A dream would be a 60min 10km which I know would not be achievable short of over-exerting my heart. I on and off feel my chest and lower heart valves tighten and each time it happens, I'm reminded of my diagnosis of Left Ventricular Hypertrophy. Of course, it's not only me who run a risk of sudden cardiac failure due to physical exertion. But, since I am aware, I always know I cannot over-exert to increase the risk of it coming to pass.

I'll just take 2010 easy. Going SCHKM in Feb 2010. Beyond that, I will do a few 10km to keep myself motivated to run regularly. I'll probably avoid the expensive local races unless there are reasons like running with family or meeting old friends.

No comments: