Monday, April 26, 2010

Bidor Half Marathon 2010 - 10km

Extended my KL week trip to do the Bidor HM 10km run. It was my first run event in Msia. No champion chip, a thick heavy cotton tee, no energy drink along the route but got a pewter finisher medal.

I met 7 Malaysians who were taking part. We bunked in the same rented house which is owned by a rich local. He provided beds with mattress, pillows and water. The Malaysians were younger than me, from 16 yrs old to 31 yrs old. But the youngest at 16 yrs and 4 days ran and completed his first 21km in 3:05 and the oldest at 31 completed the 21k in ard 1:48. The 21k cut off time was 2:45. Most of the 7 were members of a Msian running club "Team Miracle Miler". Amazingly, after the run when we were having lunch at Bidor Tien Tien Lai, we discovered they were all Brethren Christians although from (very) traditional Gospel Halls in Msia.

Man, never realised I would be running up and down a hill as I wind my way through bukit bukit. Can see my route from Endomondo website:  Bidor 10km route

Even though it was hilly, I am happy with my completion time of 1:11 (Avg pace of 7:06/km). No chip so got to rely on my trusty Polar :)

At the finish line, I crossed under my category "E" and they gave me a square card with the following "E 102". So, I came in position 102 for my 10km Mens Open.

Had a few small cups of Vico (like Milo), 1 can of 100Plus. Did not take the nasi lemak. Went to collect my Finisher bag which had the heavy Pewter Finisher medal and a Completion cert with no distance or name for participants to fill in. Also got Nature Valley bars and Vico 3-in-1.

Overall, the run was alright. Good experience running in Msia. The dung smell around the villages and up and down the winding hill road was a challenge but interesting experience. I think some younger Sporeans might pengsan with the smell. Good thing I grew up in a more ulu place :p

For me, like the rest of my Malaysia trip, meeting up with secondary school classmates and their families and also new Malaysian friends like from Team Miracle Miler made it such an enriching trip. I prayed that the meetings and fellowship have all been fruitful and everyone has been blessed as I have. Shalom.

Memories: A video from a M'sian runner

You Tube Vid

No comments: