Monday, May 5, 2008

17.10 km - another step towards 21km?

Started out at 5:30am sharp. Some who know me will say I am crazy. This morning I was concerned whether I should do more than 10km as I did 7km on Thursday morning, May Day.

After so many months, decided to strap on the HRM chest strap. I actually did not bother with it for some time due to the hassle and how it slips so easily if I were to bend down or lift up my arms or something. But I was curious to know if there is any change in my HR after months of slowing pace but extending distance of run.

The HRM showed 118bpm when I started out and after a few steps, 148. So far quite promising. I recalled in initial days, the thing read 138 at start and after a few steps, 156 or something.

The first loop (5km), I managed to keep the HR below 162 at an avg pace of around 8.10min/km.

The second loop (same 5km loop), I probably picked up pace + the heart was pumping harder due to tiredness. The HRM reading went up to 168max during 2nd loop. I completed the 10km in 1:21 which is slightly above 8min/km. But must say, still quite happy with how I managed to capped the max heart rate though I walked more.

On the third 5km loop, I went to the new Anchorvale CC toilet for water stop. After 11km, decided I needed water cause the mouth was starting to get very sticky and feeling very thirsty. 5 mins but feeling much better after the rest and water stop. For the 3rd 5km loop, the maxed heart rate went up to 176bpm. I was also feeling more tired, legs and right knee starting to pain. I walked a lot more. Finished the 15km in 2hour 2mins. Thus exceeding my targeted 8min/km.

Decided to risk running the smaller 2km loop in front of my place just to push the distance a bit. What a torture, the last 2km despite walking slightly over 60% of 2km. I was feeling the sun, my knee was starting to ache, my running posture changed and I realised I was starting to under-pronate instead of overpronating or placing my foot neutrally. Wanted to sustain a slow jog for 1km but just could not. Finished my last 2km in 18mins+, which is avg pace of 9min/km reflecting the amount of walking.

Finished the 17.10km run at 7:48:27am, 2 hour 18mins 27 secs (Avg Pace of 8.10min/km), 1475 calories according to the Polar watch (not sure how accurate that is), Avg HR of 159bpm and HR range from 118bpm - 180bpm.




I think the days of hitting max HR of 202 to 218 should be over. Hopefully, that is a good sign.

Will I be able to do 21km by July 2008? Not sure, but will try to increase mileage. For this week, first time my weekly mileage has totalled 24.10km. But, if like this morning I had to do 21km, I would have walked most of the balance 4km. Mentally this morning, was telling myself if I can't do 21km in 3hrs, I probably should not sign up for 21km. I started at 5:30am, nice and cool. For AHM and SCSM, the 21km starts off at 7:15am or 7:30am. It would be blazing hot well before I even run half the 21km. This morning, after 7:30am, I was baked for 19mins for the last 2km. Terrible heat this morning.

Now, got headache, even after a 1 1/2 hr nap this afternoon. And my nose if running and I still have a headache. Will scale down a bit next week. But legs feel much better than the first time I did 15.85km. No cramping. Probably because the route is much flatter than running up and down Upper Serangoon Road.

2 1/2 months more to complete a 21km run. . .

No comments: