Sunday, January 10, 2010

2nd training run of 2010

I signed up for the 2XU 12km at Velocity.

Then went home, changed and started my run at 5pm. Still bright & sunny, so I had applied plenty of sunblock. I was hoping to do 12km (7km loop + 5km loop).

Before reaching 1km, I was sweating so much, my arms were so shiny, like those people I see in the gym (ha ha ha ha ). I thought I was going at a relaxed slow pace. I clocked 1km at 7:25, so it was not as slow as I wanted.

At 3.5km, I punctured liao :(

Walked a little. Jogged some more. At 4.5km mark, I stopped at Fairprice and got a can of H-Two-O. Walked 1.5km which took 15 mins. Thought I'd be recharged. But then.....felt exhausted and hamstrings start feeling tired too.

Completed 7km in 61mins which included the 15min walk. I reversed and started my 5km loop. But I knew I was exhausted. Either due to lack of fitness or dehydration or the sun or a combi. But I was really exhausted. I probably should have also drank more fluids before I started my run and not just a 300ml can of H-Two-O during the run.

When I reached 11km I stopped my watch. I strolled the last 1km home taking 20mins, looking at the kites in the sky. I made the right decision to stop. Could feel both my lower hamstrings were aching, backs of my ankles were aching too and my left toe threaten to spasm by twisting upwards in the shoe as I walked back. Of course, it meant I had plenty of time to reflect how silly to sign up a 12km run first and then after that, try a 12km run and fail. Part of the reason is the early bird ends today, so not much choice. I don't plan on doing many runs in 2010. Trying to be selective.

11km: 1 hour, 32 mins, 48 secs. [Avg pace: 8min 26 secs, incl the 15 mins of walking].

No comments: