Saturday, August 30, 2008

Singapore Bay Run 2008 10km


My first 10km Singapore Bay Run (2007 was 6km Fun Run).

It was a painful experience. Had not run for 2 weeks before due to foot and ankle injury. This blog post is 1 week post-event so won't write too much.

It was a cool and overcast day. Started 5 mins early. Flagged off by Minister Teo Chee Hean. A lot of people. The route was very crowded. A lot of not so fast joggers in front of me, some fast army guys behind me overtaking and elbowing me and others whilst overtaking.

It was tough, running up the Marina Boulevard, onto ECP then going down Rochor Road, making the U-turn. At 5km I felt out of breathe (lack of fitness due to no running for 2 weeks). The last 3km was a bit mental endurance to finish. The good thing was that there were route markers at every km from KM 1 to Km 9.

First time I crossed the finish line I retched and felt like vomitting. Even after bending down, I felt the taste of 100Plus coming up. Nothing to vomit as my light cereal breakfast was at 5:20am. It was horrid experience. PLus the pain at my inner right ankle. My calves felt stiff, my thighs above both knees felt tight. Bending down to untie the champion chip also not easy. Then had to climb up wooden platform and down a wooden ramp into the muddy padang to return champion chip for the finishers' medal.

I was so occupied with my horrible retching and untying the chip, I didn't stop my watch. By the time I did, it was 1:14+.

The official chip time was 1:12:48 (about 7.3min/km). Officially my best 10km finishing time (apart from Mizuno Wave Run where I clocked 1:12 also but for 10.3km). Considering my lack of run fitness and pain to my legs, it was an extremely good time.

The finishers' medal is nice, better looking tan the SCSM 07 one. The Tee shirt design better than the cartoonish ones in previous 2 years.


Post event, managed to joined the sgRunners for a group photo, thanks to terry who pointed me to the right place as I was previously waiting at the monument opposite Raffles City. Was introduced to quincymx. Spoke to Acleong, cokiee, terry.


No comments: